Lightened Up Mac and Cheese
I don’t know about you, but cheese is by far my biggest vice. And what greater comfort food is there than creamy, decadent macaroni and cheese? So I found a way to make a macaroni and cheese dinner that wouldn’t leave me feeling bloated and guilty.
This recipe uses butternut squash to mimic the creaminess of the cheese sauce and just a touch of cheese for the flavor. Whole wheat pasta brings some nutrition to this dish rather than empty carbs found in white pasta. I actually really like to use a whole wheat/quinoa blend pasta from Hodgson Mills.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and roasted
- 1 box whole wheat pasta, prepared al dente
- 2 tbsp Bell’s turkey seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup broth or low-fat milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Combine the butternut squash, turkey seasoning, and broth or milk in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the parmesan cheese until well distributed.
- In a large baking dish, combine the squash mixture and prepared pasta and mix until the pasta is well coated.
- Bake at 375 until heated through and the cheese is melted.